Part Deux: The Jet Programme

Welcome back to my Japan blog, Heartward Bound! It has a new URL and a new adventure going for it, and I'm excited to be maintaining it once again.

For a little background information: back in 2011, I applied to work in Japan through the JET (Japan Exchange and Teaching) Program(me). I didn't get in, which ended up being a great catalyst to more fitting things for me at that time. After my first stint in Japan in 2013-2014, I decided that returning home was, while not a mistake, simply a stepping stone to coming back to Japan. So I applied again and was accepted to be a JET ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) for 2016-2017. If you'd like to know more about the JET Program, here is the JET website.

And now, for some anecdotes about the first steps of my journey back to Japan!

On Friday, we had our pre-departure orientation in San Francisco. As I would come to learn, the format was very indicative of the JET style of gathering: speeches, speeches and more speeches, followed by complimentary transportation and food.

One speech in particular, was by I think the president of AJET, if that's the alumni network I'm thinking of. He mentioned the concept of "52 Saturdays" — the number of Saturdays we have in Japan — and of asking ourselves how exactly we want to spend those Saturdays.

He also brought up three metaphors for how we should be as JETS. One was to be like Kumamon, the mascot of Kumamoto, in the sense that we need to be proud of where we're from, be lovable and be representatives of our culture. The next metaphor I think was of being like daikon in some sense; the speaker related a story of generosity involving a gift of daikon and said we should be so thoughtful as to give unbidden gifts, whether of time or thoughtful material things. The third metaphor was to be like sakura, appreciated despite our short time here.

After all the speeches and some key information, we were shuttled off to the Consulate General's house in I believe Pacific Heights, San Francisco. It is a beautiful, fancy place with a marble staircase leading up to the front door. There were more speeches there, as well as complimentary wine and a buffet of food. I spent time chatting with several other JETs, including one whom I met at the interview process back in February. We all couldn't believe we'd be in Japan in a matter of days. For more on the journey to Japan, tune in for the next post!

Comments

Popular Posts