Lost and Found

Today I went on a long walk. Initially I didn't know where to go so I thought I would just take the route past Wonderland (a pachinko place) toward Nitori and Uniqlo. But something in me made me decide to continue straight on the road leading away from Youme Town (the mall), instead of going right toward Wonderland.

A few hundred feet after I stopped to get water from a vending machine, I looked across the road and saw a dog wandering around. He had a leash, so at first I thought he was tethered to something in the yard. But then I saw the leash dragging freely through the grass. For some reason, though I have never done this kind of thing before, I crossed the street, threw my water bottle in my bag and whistled to the dog as he trotted away. He wasn't going very fast. I caught up to him right as he was taking a poop in some dead grass.

I said, "Hey buddy, come here," and held out my hand. He seemed wary at first but decided I smelled all right. I took the leash and carefully inspected his collar to see if there was a name or phone number - neither.

So I walked with him to the house I had first seen him by, and rang the doorbell. The door was open, and a woman called, "Hai!" twice before I said, "Sumimasen, kore wa kono ie no inu desu ka?" (Excuse me, is this dog from this house?)

When the woman arrived at the door, she started to say yes, but then corrected herself - "Chigau!" I explained that I had found him near the house, and there was no info on his collar. The two of us wondered, "Dou shiyou?" (What should we do?) and the woman proceeded to eliminate neighbors whose dogs she knew.

Nevertheless, she came with me to knock on some of said neighbors' doors, to see if they knew whose dog it was. None of them were home.

We went back to the road I had found him on, and walked a ways down it. On the woman's suggestion, we walked down a small side street. A family with two little kids were getting into their car, and we asked the dad if he knew the dog.

"Shiran'! Mita koto ga nai!" (Dunno! Never seen him before!) The little ones scampered out of the car and parroted, "Mita koto ga nai!" Cute but of course unhelpful.

The lady and I walked a little ways back to the original road, and a guy rode up on a bicycle, smoking a cigarette, and said, "Ah! Uchi no inu da!" (Ah! Our household's dog!)

With a lot of "yokatta"s (Good thing) and stuff I didn't really understand, the dog was back in the hands of his owner. I said goodbye to the lady as she went back to her house, and I headed on my own way.

I felt so accomplished by returning the dog; it was a great feeling.

I walked farther north until I got to the big sea wall, and walked along the path that's built into the wall for a while. The path wasn't kept up well, and had all kinds of overgrown and dying flora all over it.

When I came off the wall onto a proper road, I soon found myself by an interesting cafe. It was called Furio. I stopped inside and ended up chilling on the outside patio with a rewarding plate of berry French toast and a sweet ginger ale.

What a lovely day!

Comments

Popular Posts