Crayon Creations

Creative Day 02-03/31: drawings

L's favorite scene from The Sandlot
Apple branches and The Sandlot
I was down to my last yen, but I wanted to create something. I have felt on a roll with this creative project, and after spending part of my afternoon searching for online drawing lessons (and producing this pencil sketch of an apple tree branch), I spent a few of my last 100-yen coins on a drawing pad and crayons at the 100円 store. By the way, 円 means yen or en; it's the kanji that corresponds with the ¥ symbol. Kind of like how we have the word "dollar," but the symbol is $.

So, after L and I watched The Sandlot, which was mandatory viewing for her, since she'd never seen it before, I suggested we draw our favorite scenes. Hers was when Benny is jumping over the fence, and mine was when Porter is showing Smalls what a s'more is. What a childhood... to not know about s'mores! L commented that my drawing (at left, under the apple branch) looks like the two of them are having a date in the clubhouse. Maybe she's right, but that's OK! This is just for fun, a way for me to practice art in ways I didn't really practice after crayons became "kids' stuff" and cell phones were suddenly more fun.

Dreaming of daughters and clouds
The next day, I decided to draw a scene from a dream I had a few months ago (see right). In the dream, I had a little daughter, but I died and I was watching her from the sky. I watched her down below the pink clouds as she said, "Daddy, Mommy's in heaven now, huh?" It was very bittersweet.

I'm looking forward to buying some paints and experimenting with them, after I get paid on Monday! Crayons are fun, but they're not the easiest to work with. I feel a little bit like I'm reliving childhood: I have to graduate from crayons to paints, and then maybe I'll be ready for charcoal and acrylics, and maybe even digital!

Comments

Popular Posts